Sunday, December 2, 2012

Meremac River/Bourbouse River Confluence point, November 25th, 2012:

Kayaking the Meremac/Bourbouse Rivers


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Missouri

A fairly cool but sunny November day...perfect for a trip on the Meremac River!  The launch site was at Choteau Claim Access CA.  Good place to put in and gain access to both the Meremac and Bourbouse Rivers in Franklin County Missouri.
I set off to go up the Meremac River from the launch site.  The water was gin clear and was just a bit low (not too awful bad)

Flow: 875
Gauge Height: 2.3 ft (Near Eureka)

I got upstream just past the RR tracks, and the river started to narrow and get swift.  I paddled it from one side of the river to the other, and then banked it. The point at the Meremac where I stopped was fairly clogged with trees, and had a swift current.  If it was summer, I might have tried to get through, but in winter I do not like to take as many chances.  I got out and waded in to fish for smallmouths in the structure.  Big lesson was learned while wearing a dry suite: wear insulated socks underneath!  My feet got so, so cold....I think it caused me a few problems later in the trip, due to the cold of my feet!

I turned around and headed back, and fished a couple of deep pools.  No fishing success on this day.  The Bourbouse is a much slower stream, and not nearly as clear.  I fished all the way up and back as well- just was not my day for fishing success.  The Bourbouse is incredible at this point with the cliffs....very beautiful!

On the paddle back, I started to feel cold.  I am glad I packed some extra energy snacks and hot green tea- perfect when you want to feel warmer- combined with a skull cap, you will start to feel better almost instantly!

Incredible trip.....I did this trip a few years ago in the summer and took the Bourbouse all the way up (almost to I-44).  If you go this route, just be prepared for several portage areas.  This is an awesome trip as well.

Paddle ON!

Mike







No comments:

Post a Comment