Saturday, June 30, 2012

Kayaking the Arkansas River, SE of Little Rock, Arkansas June 2012



This was a really nice paddle trip on the Arkansas River just south of Little Rock, Arkansas.  I put in at the Willow Beach Public use area (Corps of Engineers site) and spent the first half kayaking the slough/lake.  The Arkansas River is very interesting in this part of the state.  There is a lock and dam system (much like the Mississippi River near St. Louis), however, the current has an appearance of being very dosile.  I always use the word "appearance" when making this description.  I am sure there is some main current.  In a large river, however mild the appearance, we should anticipate it is there.  The biggest challenge you may have kayaking a river like this is the commercial barge traffic.  If you watch the video, you can see the barge go by, then see how it effects the river.  It seemed like there was a choppy wake even after the barge was long gone.

I pulled off where the slough meets the main river and allowed the barge to go past.  It was a really nice spot and I was able to walk into the water for a spell.  I found a hatched turtle nest right on the point (making sure to avoid it as not to disturb it).  When I got back on the main channel, the wind really started to whip up as well as the continuing barge wake.  It was an outstanding trip!  There is a submurged old wing dike where the river hits the Corps area.  I paddled over it (I could not tell where the channel was) which is a risky endevour in a sea kayak.  The one "sensation" I do not like at all is to have some object lift up the kayak from the bottom.  My next trip I will be sure to stay on the channel.

Paddle ON!

Mike

Kayaking the Arkansas River east of Little Rock


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking near Little Rock, Arkansas

No comments:

Post a Comment