Saturday, September 17, 2011

Kayaking the Bourbouse River, Chouteau Claim Access, Franklin County, MO, September 10th, 2011



I had said to a friend of mine the other day that I did not really care for the Bourbouse River in Franklin County Missouri.  I said it was "too wrangly" with "not enough portage spots, etc".  After this kayak trip, I stand corrected.  It just goes to show that you cannot evaluate an entire river on one 4 mile stretch.

Kayaking the Bourbouse River near the Meremac, Missouri


EveryTrail - Find the best Hiking in Missouri

I put in at the Chouteau Claim Access in Franklin County.  This is right at the confluence point for the Bourbouse and the Meremac River.  This trip was absolutely INCREDIBLE!  I did over 8 miles, and fished all the way back (caught one really small smallmouth, but nothing to photograph or comment on).  However, the scenery was absolutely incredible.  I had to portage about (4) times or so on the way up current.  Three of these spots I just paddled right through on the way back.  I was fishing on one spot and I saw a very large deer walk across one of the portage spots from a distance.  I swear it look larger than average....look like an elk, believe it or not.

The wildflowers were in bloom, and the temperatures were moderate.  I am looking forward to going back to the access point and paddling up the Meremac side to see how far I can go.  Looking forward to my journeys back to this amazing river!

Paddle ON!

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment