Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Elk River, McDonald County, Missouri: Nice 4.5 mile paddle, will be great fall/winter paddle!



We had some weather moving through, so I was not sure I was even going to be able to get this paddle done, due to that, but I decided to take a chance.  The Elk River in Missouri is interesting, due to the fact that there does not seem to be a lot of access points (very much like some of the rivers in Arkansas).  I went to a couple of points that were on my paddlers guide, that ended up being dead ends.  The area I went to (near Blue Eye, Missouri) was not even on the map as an access point.  It was located right next to a canoe livery/campground.

My title says it all.....ton of canoe traffic.  I do not mind other people on the river, but unfortunately this time of year, you get some people that do not have much of a respect for the rivers....they view Ozark streams as places to get drunk on, throw beer cans and trash all over the place, piss in the water (amongst other functions) and generally be loud and stupid.  I know for a fact all people that rent canoes are not like that, but it is the rest of them that gives it a bad name.  I was able to pick up a couple of pieces of trash and stow them until I got to shore, but this river really needs a clean up.  You would think that the canoe liveries located around the area would have some people a couple of times a week form some sort of a "stream team" to help out....it would be good for business!

The fishing was a bit off, but the paddle felt good.  I am looking forward to coming back to this place in the fall/winter when all the traffic dies down.
Paddle ON!

Mike

kayak fishing the Elk River, Missouri


Share your Adventures with SpotAdventures

No comments:

Post a Comment